It's about time I found out about a Secret Pal before the end of the signup period! Here's my questionnaire:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I enjoy working with higher quality, natural fiber yarn like Rowan or Debbie Bliss when I have a project in mind, but I will stock up on the cheap stuff like Caron Simply soft for projects I design myself.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I have not spun anything to date…just spiderwebs. I learned crocheting a few weeks ago, and look forward to learning mad skills.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I HATE the smell of leftover cigarette smoke. I am not allergic, but it’s gross on clothes.
4. How long have you been knitting?
About a year – I learn new techniques very quickly.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have one on Froogle…But it’s not really all-inclusive yet!
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
MMMM…vanilla, lilac, and pumpkin. But not all three at once.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
The sweeter the better! I also have a chocolate tooth, and a cinnamon tooth. But not a ranch tooth. Ranch!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I have a quilt in my closet that my mother started when I was born and never finished. I took it over last year, but I don’t have a sewing machine, so it’s slow going. I also cross-stitch and love making my own paper products, invitations and magnets.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Unfortunately, I’m a lazy CD buyer, and my CD collection hasn’t changed much since 1996. BUT…I do love the kind of music from the Garden State and the new Six Feet Under soundtracks (what genre is that?) I take my iPod on the plane and play Dave Matthews, Jack Johnson, Coldplay, etc.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love mixing all shades of cool colors, deep blues, turquoise, purples and greens. I don’t like green, brown and orange together. Reminds me of the mural on the ceiling in my bedroom growing up – how 70’s!
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I am married with 2 furbabies (kitties), Buster and Niblet.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
This is a tough one. I want to travel, dream to own my own home, be satisfied with my career, and stay madly in love with my husband.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Debbie Bliss alpaca silk. I hear she has a new DK weight, which I’m going to try. I also love all Rowan and Karabella yarns.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I hate itchy, bulky wool. I couldn’t wear an itchy sweater or scarf, so I won’t knit with it for anyone.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Although it’s not knitting, I’m obsessed with learning to crochet! I am dying to make the Ferragamo bag see below…
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Raglan sweaters. Top down or bottom up, I love knitting in the round.
17. What are you knitting right now?
I’ve been working on Orangina since April…It’s always on the back burner. I finished a bunch of things this week, so it’s time for a new project. I'm also trying to convert the Lucky Clover Wrap from SnBN to a non-lace pattern for the same reason...lace takes forever. Especially with Rowan 4-ply!
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I knit one, and I liked it last year, but I think this is the year for the shawl collar rather than the poncho.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Circular. Even for back and forth projects.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Depends on the yarn. I have both bamboo and aluminum. I’m dying to try the Addi turbos. I think I knit too slowly, and if they’ll help me speed things up, I’m game!
21. Are you a sock knitter?
No. I hate needles (especially DPNs) under size 5. I only use them for finishing hats and sleeves. But I’d give ‘em a try if I can get a hold of some self striping yarn (but not the fair isle kind).
22. How did you learn to knit?
Mostly, I taught myself. I did take a class, but I didn’t learn much other than the good restaurants in my area!
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Orangina…UFO since April.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
This is such a weird question…nothing I’d want tattooed on my body...Probably Stewie from Family Guy...
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving! I love to host it – my mother or MIL makes the turkey, and I supply all the sides and desserts! Yum!
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Can’t think of anything. I like to use things, then throw them out. Although the collection of purses in my closet doesn’t seem to get any smaller…
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits currently.
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
It’s not really a book, but I’m dying to pick up the past few issues of Rowan.
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
Rogue, Angelina from White Lies Designs, and the good ol' Ribby Cardi to name a few...
ETA: 30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
I wear a size 8 shoe...but I don't know what that translates to in sock land...I don't really have a sock fetish...It's still summer, and apart from the camping trip, I haven't worn socks since it was boot weather. And, well, you can't really see socks under boots, SO...I guess what I'm trying to say is, as long as they don't have holes in the toes I guess I like them ;)